The following is a simple guide of what to do when death occurs.
For my clients: check the Will Manual for burial instructions, people to notify, location of documents.
Contact the following:
- All Executors (Estate Trustees) named in the Will.
- Clergy if applicable.
- If parts of the body are to be donated for medical or research purposes, contact institutions involved.
- If death occurs as a result of an accident contact a lawyer and police if not already notified (as soon as practical).
- Cancel deliveries, service calls, subscriptions, appointments, etc., on behalf of the deceased.
- Obtain death certificate — usually from the funeral home.
- Arrange to publish death notice in newspaper.
- Contact memorial society or funeral home. The deceased should have left specific instructions regarding mode of burial either in the Will or by memorandum.
Contact a lawyer with respect to administration of the estate. The information which would assist the lawyer at your first appointment includes:
- Copy of the Will
- List of Assets, Debts and Benefits
- Insurance policies
- Death Certificate
- Birth Certificate
- Marriage Certificate
- Social Insurance Number
You do not need to wait to obtain documents before your first appointment.
- Change mailing address